Friday, September 4, 2009

It's Time to Begin (Again)!

It's Friday, September 4th. This week has been hectic, as every week has been so far, but with a new and very special element - all the meetings and activities surrounding the beginning of a new academic year. Obviously, it's my first academic year at the University of Rhode Island, so I will always have a unique connection to the Class of 2013 as we begin our first year together. I look forward to meeting many of you and your families as you move in and at our first home football game this weekend. You have made an excellent choice to pursue your future at URI. Our faculty and staff will work diligently and enthusiastically to help our newest students, whether entering higher education for the first time or transferring to URI to continue their studies.

I am also very much looking forward to meeting our returning students, many of whom are already on campus to assist our new students and help the university get off to a great start for the 2009-10 academic year. You will undoubtedly teach me a lot. That is one of the many, many reasons I love being at a university like the University of Rhode Island - I can be a part of a close and friendly community where all those who belong are learning together.

Hope to see you on campus. Look for me, Lynn, and Rhody, our dog (although I am sure that Rhody the Ram will be much more visible) and be sure to say hi!